Oh, la pluie!
Generally, the weather here in southern France is spectacular! It's sunny and warm and wonderful. But, every so often, you get a little reminder to appreciate those fabulous days. I got a good one on Sunday. It went something like this:
- woke up to crazy thunder, lightening, and pouring rain
- decided to swim first (let storms pass, get swim in before pool closed)
- left pool in sunshine, drove straight to Saint-Jeannet (to start ride/run)
- started ride in partial sun, moderately warm temps – remained nice from S-J to base of big climb
- cloudiness increased throughout the climb
- dark and cloudy at summit – thought, “I’m warm enough. If I get sprinkled on, I’ll be fine.”
- within 30 min – steady rain, temps dropping (and descending – HR & body temp dropping)
- ~15 min later (~2:30 into ride), weather = thunder, lightening, steady/heavy rain
- I = FREEZING (“Just get back to the car”, which is when I started to realize that I had over shot the ride (supposed to be 3:30) - would have been a 3:45 loop on a steady day)
- “Just keep riding, just keep riding, you can do this Cait, just keep riding, something will come along” (said quite outloud) - promising myself that I would stop at the next store/restaurant/inhabited home that I came across and beg them to call a taxi, no matter what the cost.
- SO COLD!! Hands not working well, head starting to shut down.
- FIRE DEPARTMENT!!!!
- wrapped in towel, fireman rubbing my arms trying to get me warm; hot shower, random clothes from firemen, wrapped in sheet, given hot tea
- driven back to car by fireman (weather = alternating bright sun, can’t-see-at-all pouring (and RAINBOWS))
So, this is what it usually looks like around here:
And here is what it looked like on Sunday morning (and mid-way through my ride):
Phillipe, Cyrille, et the duex autres messieurs qui étaient à la caserne des pompiers à Coursegoules sur le dimanche matin - vous êtes mes héroes! MERCI!!!
(Phillipe, Cyrille, and the other two gentelman that were at the firehouse in Coursegoules on Sunday afternoon - you are my heroes! THANK YOU!!!)
You need to be logged in in order to leave a comment.